315.2 Cell Phones
|Created by: Donald Pierce on 6/9/2009|
|Category: 3 - Business Affairs; 10 - Accounting/Auditing/Budgeting|
|Originator: Chief Information Officer, Controller|
|Current File: 315.2|
|Adoption Date: 11/15/2012|
|Reviewed for Currency: 11/15/2012|
|Date of Origin: 5/29/2009|
|In Archive? No|
315.2 Cell Phones
Use of cell phones for university business has become a common practice. This policy will simplify the university cell phone program and result in each user's having both freedom of choice and personal responsibility for his or her cell phone plan. It will also enable Furman University to better control cell phone costs, as well as comply with IRS guidelines.
Employees whose job duties include the frequent need of a cell phone may receive extra compensation, in the form of a cell phone allowance (stipend), to cover business-related costs.
1. The University will not own cell phones for the use of individual employees.
2. If a department head determines that a university employee’s job duties include the frequent need of a cell phone, then the employee is eligible for an allowance to cover cell phone expenses.
3. Department heads are responsible for the annual review of employee business-related cell phone use to determine if existing cell phone allowances should be continued as-is, changed, or discontinued. Supervisors should contact Financial Services if there are any changes to the allowance.
4. Furman University will pay the agreed upon cell phone allowance even if the monthly costs exceed the allowance. If the amount of the allowance subsidy needs to be altered because of documented business purposes, individuals will need to ask their department heads to adjust the cell phone allowance and submit a new approved form.
5. The cell phone contract will be in the name of the Furman employee who will be solely responsible for all payments to the service provider. Only one cell phone allowance will be provided per employee. Employees who require a device with both voice and data service (i.e., a smartphone) may combine a voice tier with the data tier for their total allowance.
6. Furman purchasing cards or departmental accounts may no longer be used for individual employees’ monthly service cell phone fees or for related equipment purchases.
7. Furman University will not accept any liability for claims, charges or disputes between the service provider and the employee. Recipients of a cell phone allowance must notify Furman University of the cell phone number and must continue to maintain the cell phone while in receipt of the allowance.
8. Because the cell phone is owned personally by the employee and the allowance provided is non-taxable income, the employee may use the phone for both business and personal purposes, as needed. The employee may, at his or her own expense, add extra services or equipment features, as desired. If there are problems with service, the employee will need to work directly with the service provider for resolution. Information Technology Services will support smartphone/PDA users by providing settings for email and calendar functionality.
9. Use of the cell phone in any manner contrary to local, state or federal laws will constitute misuse and will result in immediate termination of the cell phone allowance.
10. Complete details regarding this benefit, including current monthly allowances and user requirements, are found on the Human Resources website.