071.0 Chief Information Officer
|Created by: Dana Trebing on 2/23/2005|
|Category: 0 - General Administration; 70 - Computer Services|
|Current File: 071.0|
|Adoption Date: 11/15/2012|
|Reviewed for Currency: 11/15/2012|
|Replaces File: 071.0|
|Date of Origin: 3/26/1996|
|In Archive? No|
071.0 Chief Information Officer
It is important to provide for administrators, faculty, staff, and students information technology systems and services that are user-oriented and that support the administrative and academic programs of the University. The Information Technology Service Center is vital to the information communication system on campus.
The Chief Information Officer oversees and directs all Information Technology Services functions. The CIO provides vision and leadership for the strategic development and management of information, information resources, and technology to support Furman's mission, strategic goals, and academic program priorities. The CIO leads the Information Technology Services departments and staff and optimizes the use of human, technological, capital and financial resources to ensure efficient operation and proper support of academic and administrative functions. The CIO establishes and maintains a close linkage to the academic and administrative teams to plan for and implement information and technology requirements.
1. The Chief Information Officer is appointed by and directly responsible to the Vice President for Finance and Administration.
2. Duties and responsibilities of the Chief Information Officer include the following:
- Manages information services operations including operating and capital budgets, policies, staffing, quality of services and the overall performance of information technology and systems, telecommunication, and data integration. Providing timely and accurate information to all levels of the organization. Understand the technological and informational needs of departments and individuals.
- Understands academic needs and improves information services to them; integrates academic information systems needs into the organizational strategic plans and communicates that integration with them. Works closely with faculty members and department chairs to address both short- and long-term academic technological needs.
- Develops and implements an Information Technology Strategic Plan (IT Strategic Plan) that supports the University Strategic Plan. Monitors ongoing changes in the university's initiatives to make necessary adjustments in the IT Strategic Plan.
- Directs the development and implementation of tactical plans for each major area of Information Technology Services that supports the IT Strategic Plan.
- Develops and continually reviews long range plans for information services and technology including capital and operating expenses for infrastructure and university-specific needs.
- Establishes and ensures adherence to system-wide information management/technology standards and strategies.
- Maintains external relationships with vendors to ensure value and quality from purchased services and items, including contract negotiations.
- Monitors the university environment and technology innovation to ensure appropriate utilization of information systems and technology.
- Participates in or leads internal and external efforts to promote the appropriate use of technology in our facilities.
- Works with the President and other administrators to provide strategic direction for Information Technology Services in support of Furman's Strategic Plan and ongoing operations.
- Provides consultative and support services and resource material to the Board of Trustees and President's Council to assist in identifying key challenges and issues for Information Technology Services.
- Demonstrates effectiveness in leadership through broad collaborative skill, deliberate decision-making and effective delegation and follow-up including; setting priorities for systems uptime, enabling experimentation with new/emerging technologies, involving staff in resource planning and creating a supportive environment that promotes high employee morale.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Represents Furman through professional affiliations.
- Follows safety procedures.
- Completes performance review process with supervisor/employees to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.